Way too many people are sick and they do even know it!
FACT: More than 86 million Americans are pre-diabetic. 29 million Americans already have diabetes in a population that is 323 million. That means 1 in 3 persons are sick- the same statistic for heart disease. These numbers are staggering!
Can we prevent getting sick in the first place?
People are asking frequently if there are ways to prevent getting sick. The answer is, “Yes!”
We now know that many chronic diseases, per the National Institute of Health (NIH), can be managed, treated or prevented by making better lifestyle choices and interventions without risks and undesirable side effects.
Treating the disease itself is not the cure, it doesn’t work. The cure and focus need to be in prevention.
.The CDC recently has implemented a new service called the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has implemented a new service called the National Diabetes Prevent Program (NDPP). This is a 1-year program designed to inhibit the progression of the disease by helping pre-diabetic individuals lose 5% of their weight through diet and lifestyle modification.
The program is 22 group classes spread out over the course of a year. Each class provides focused guidance on nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress management, and mental health.
Clinical research published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that NDPP was more effective than the drug, metformin, as a preventative for diabetes. Metformin is a first-line medication for the treating type 2 diabetes, especially in overweight people.
Participants who successfully completed the NDPP had a 58% risk reduction and seniors had more than a 70% risk reduction in developing diabetes. People in the program eliminated the common side-effects (diarrhea/nausea) associated with the use drug, metformin.
Fruit Street, a telemedicine company is a new provider of the CDC’s NDPP that has implemented an online format through group video Telemedicine sessions i.e. 1 lifestyle coach/10 patients. The benefit of video telemedicine is that it makes it easy to immediately share data, and also makes it easier for patients to attend sessions.
Included in the program is a wireless bathroom scale to measure weight, a Fitbit which measures daily steps, and the Fruit Street application that allows for taking pictures of food, daily individual interaction, and feedback with a coach.
What does the National Diabetes Prevention Program cost?
An additional benefit of the NDPP is that it is likely covered by insurance. Health insurance companies like BCBS are required to pay for intense lifestyle modification because of the Affordable Care Act. And, Medicare proposed reimbursement for the program starts, April 2018.
Get started by reaching out today
With so many of us growing increasingly aware of the impact poor diet and health have on our ability to live well, this pre-diabetic telemedicine platform is an exciting win/win for everyone.
Not only for diabetes prevention but potentially for other health conditions as well!
It’s a perfect combination of digital wearable devices and dietary tracking mobile applications without losing the human component. I predict this pre-diabetes platform will be a benchmark for other disease prevention.
Are you a candidate for this program or would like more information on how to sign up for the Diabetes Prevention Program email: email@example.com.
Dr Pat Boulogne, DC, CCSP, AP, CFMP
AskDrPat – HealthTeamNetwork.com
1 out of 2 people in America today give up their life to Cardiovascular Disease. Certainly looking to medicine for preventing cardiovascular disease like heart attacks and strokes is a no brainer.
Many blame high cholesterol, but that is not the culprit we make it out to be. In fact, if you are told this, you are being misled.
The REAL Clinical Factors for HIGH-RISK Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke are:
1. Cardiac Arrhythmia (includes atrial fibrillation, interruption of the heart’s normal rhythm)
2. Elevated Triglycerides (especially elevated ratio of Triglycerides: HDL cholesterol. Triglycerides are directly related to plaque/hardening of the arteries)
3. Elevated Homocysteine. (a study show men with high homocysteine levels were 3X’s more likely to have hardening of the arteries)
4. Elevated Insulin
5. Elevated Cortisol (high cortisol levels and high blood pressure go hand and hand. People with high blood pressure have high cortisol levels)
6. Elevated Estrogen (in relation to progesterone levels)
7. Low Testosterone- men (men with high levels of testosterone offers approximately 5X’s more protection for the prevention of heart disease)
8. High Testosterone- women
9. High Lipid Peroxide (lipid peroxide is the end result of oxygen free radicals damage done to the cell membrane and, associated with Cancer, Heart Disease, Stroke, and Aging)
10. Elevated CRP: C-reactive Protein (CRP is a biomarker for inflammatory cytokines. Studies have shown men with high CRP have 3X’s as many heart attacks and 2X’s as many strokes vs the general population.
11. Other risk factors include inadequate: Magnesium, Fatty Acid and the Fractionating of Fats
How Do You Manage Your Risk Factors?
GOOD NEWS… if you have an imbalance that has shown up in a heart evaluation, it may be able to be remedied in as little as 2 to 6 weeks. I have witnessed high blood pressure with other risk factors return back to normal within the above time frame. Of course, results would vary from person to person depending on the complexity and compliance to lifestyle changes.
If you or someone you know needs my help, ASK. I can also help find a qualified functional medicine doctor in your area.
7 SIGNS YOU FOUND YOUR CALLING – Jeff Goins. I love Jeff Goins… if you do not know who he is, look him up- writer, blogger…check him out!
WHICH WAY ARE YOU GOING TO GO?
1. IT’S FAMILIAR-
A calling comes not just by looking forward to what you will not do but also at looking back at what you have done. I think when you do this, you have to ask yourself: what Do I Like and what do I do well?
2. IT’S SOMETHING OTHER PEOPLE SEE IN YOU.
Sometimes, our vocations are most obvious to those who know you the BEST. If you do not know, ask your friends… the ones that boost you up.
3. IT’S CHALLENGING.
I must be difficult enough that not anyone can do it. If you say to yourself, I am not going to do what it take to do____, then it is not a challenge to you. Pick another challenge.
4. IT REQUIRES FAITH.
It cannot be something too obvious that you can easily explain it. It must be mysterious. Here in lies the food that motivates you and makes you more interesting and intriguing.
5. IT TAKES TIME.
You have to fail your way in the right direction before you find it. Perservence and looking just beyond when you want to give up. That is when, if you stick to what sings to your heart come into play. Nothing is by chance.
6. IT’S MORE THAN JUST ONE THING.
And, it integrates well with the rest of your life, not competing with but complimenting your top priorities. Ever go against the flow… how did it work out? It was a struggle. When you are aligned with your purpose, you are unstoppable.
7. IT’S BIGGER THAN YOU.
The task must be so large that without a team of people, you cannot complete it on your own. Bigger than you also means, something for the good of all humanity, so many benefits. That away, you get the support you need and help along the way just for the asking.
When you have Purpose with Intention and Focus… you will be unstoppable. Surround yourself with like-minded people, people who inspire you to do your best and love you. First, love yourself.:-)
We all love heroic tales of overnight success, but expertise is never an accident – Jeff Goins
3 Steps To Practical Peak Performance
1. Master your mindset. What you think you become. Practice deliberate mindset which means anyone can be better if they take the right approach.
2. Practice with intent. Practice(s)may not all be equal. Trying harder sometimes doesn’t end up with better results. If you’re not improving it’s not because you lack the talent, it’s because you’re not practicing the right way. You have to push yourself past what you think it’s possible. If you’re not doing that, your spinning your wheels. Hours and effort.
3. Seek an environment of greatness. Associate with others who challenge you and help you grow. An example are London cab drivers, their brains were measured before they became licensed cab drivers and then after. They found part of the brain responsible for navigation grew significantly over years of intense daily training in the same environment. So if greatness is not in your environment, find the people who challenge you to grow.
Peak: A. Ericsson/M. Hyatt
Everyone has a genius within… I truly believe this. We just need to learn how to tap into that so that it can express itself and shine to be the person you truly are meant to be! The grass is only green where it is watered.
Do you still toss and turn in the night? Do you have a hard time staying asleep or feel you do not get a quality sleep? Do you wake up and free foggy or with no energy? Do you worry a lot? If you answered YES to any of the above and or you have taken over the counter remedies and medication also but still not satisfied, then an alternative approach may be what your are missing.
What’s available as a remedy for those who suffer from lack of sleep in western medicine and in the western world? Just over the counter remedies and prescribed medications. Many do not work and seriously, they really are not for long term use without consequences. Plus, you feel knock out and tired when you wake up. That is not real sleep and that is not quality sleep. In the alternative arena, I look toward Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture for keys to the find the root of the problem. You really want to find the solution and not treat the symptoms or you are missing the boat. When you treat the symptoms, most times than not, you are doing nothing to enhance your health or lifestyle.Certainly, you are not productive. Bottom-line, people who get enough quality sleep are happy, healthier, people and they do not ‘prematurely age‘ as fast.
In Chinese Medicine, it is thought that if you are not sleeping well, then other organs systems in the body are not in ‘harmony’ and their QI (pronounced chee) is disturbed. What is QI? It is the vital energy flow: When Qi does not flow- problems occur and when QI flows – problems disappear. When the problem is treated, it enables the QI to flow again- freely. Another analogy to think about is this… your best friend that just gets you, you are in sync (qi)! Back to the organs, in the body when they are lacking proper Qi, then not in sync… the result is your health suffers. In Chinese Medicine it is considered, disharmonious. Good Qi- healthy, Bad Qi,… i think you get the picture.
For those of you who are curious what to know what organs may be involved or not, here is the scoop. First, the spleen. In western medicine the spleen is not paid much attention to and actually considered not an important organ, they say that you do not need it and in remove it without looking at the consequences. It is thought it is an organ, that ‘just’ filters blood. BUT- in Chinese medicine, the Spleen is VERY important and contributes to every organ. For good sleep to happen, the Spleen must work in harmony with the following: heart, liver, stomach, kidneys and intestines.
4 Ways the Spleen, if it is not in Harmony, Interferes with Body Functions
- Directly effects digestion (a job of the spleen is to move fluid in your body and helps get rid of excess fluid. If you have a puffy face, tongue, overweight or sluggish, then basically you are submerged in your own body water- what a visual)
- Aids in digestion & proper Bowel Movement (stomach, intestines relies on the spleen to pass on the water and foods we ingest)
- Governs circulation (the spleen makes blood. If the quality of blood is affected its trickle effect down the line is poor circulation… cold hands/feet, lack of energy, sugar cravings, blood pressure and sleep problems).
If the Spleen is not balanced you may also experience the following: worry, poor concentration, day time fatigued, anxiousness, and performance anxiety with sex.
If the Spleen is nurtured, guess what- you sleep, think, move and feel better. Why? Because you body is now in balance. What about the spleen? What does it do? The spleen is synergy with your blood and lymph system. It is a filter for the blood and takes out the old and replaces it with new red blood cells (rbc). It stores iron and also stores it in the bone marrow (hemoglobin is made there). It organ itself holds 8 oz of blood (emergencies). It is closely connected to the immune system and a defender of inflammation (the root cause of many illnesses and diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, obesity).
What to do? How do you keep the Spleen happy? No, you do not have to take anything that has risk, has side effects or causes harm, like many drugs and over the counter remedies. A goal here would be to tonify the spleen, tonify the qi, fortify the blood, and nourish the heart (chinese). When this is in balance it promotes the body to get into a state to go to sleep and stay asleep. You fall asleep easier, and wake up refreshed with a clear mind. A Chinese formula that is used frequently is Gui Pi Tang .Another, and this one I personally use is Suan Zao Ren Tang. Both have no side effects. Although you can buy these online, I caution anyone to use these without consulting an Acupuncture Physician first. It is prudent in the event something else is underlining or masking a bigger problem that needs to be addressed making either of these products not for you. This is based on my opinion, with no intention to treat or diagnose.
On the other hand, if you chose foods as your medicine, the foods that would compliment this are but not limited to:
- Sweet taste, neutral, warm/hot food and also neutral to warming methods of cooking.
- Eating at least one warm meal a day and eating regularly for duration of two to three months.
- Warming foods are emphasized and cooling foods are limited,
- Well cooked rice, oats, spelt, mochi, carbohydrate rich vegetables like winter squash, carrots, rutabaga, parsnip, garbanzo peas, black beans, peas, sweet potato, yam, pumpkin, acrid vegetables like onion/leeks, spices: black pepper, cinnamon, fennel, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, small amounts of sweet rice syrup, barley malt, molasses, cherries, dates, small amounts of mackerel, tuna, halibut, anchovy, beef, beef-liver, kidney, chicken, turkey, lamb and butter.
- Avoid foods such as pineapple, oranges, bananas, kiwis, watermelon, lemons, cucumbers, cold salads, tomato, cold/ice drinks, excessive intake of mineral water, cold fruit juices (orange), black tea, green tea, wheat beer, cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese, cream cheese and sour milk products.
So, if you find yourself waking up between 1 and 3 AM… then, it is time to make LifeStyle changes towards more restful and peaceful sleep that leads to a healthier, productive you. If you find you cannot do it on your own, hire a LifeStyle Medicine Strategist who can show you the fastest way to health!